Thursday, February 15, 2007

Diet Hack, Day 3

This is Day 3 of the Garrett Diet Hack Experiment.

Target: 203.1 lbs
Actual Weight: 199.6 lbs
Food budget: 56.2 oz
Food eaten: 49.63 oz

Dilemma Trumped

Yesterday I outlined my dilemma about going to the Magnolia Grill and gathering data for the Diet Hack Experiment. Well, this morning we realized that the awards ceremony for our daughter's science fair had snuck up on us. The presentation was this evening, exactly when we were supposed to be sitting down to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants.

Ariane worked very hard on her project, and had done a superb job. The goal of her project was to determine which soaps are the most effective antibacterial agents. She conceived of the experiment, and figured out all the proper controls, bugged us to get her the materials, and then spent hours organizing and analyzing her results. We knew she had a good chance of getting an award.

When we realized that we had scheduled dinner on top of the awards ceremony, we were faced with a new dilemma, much more important than whether to bring a scale to the restaurant. Unquestionably, the right thing to do was to go to the science fair. However, it is "hard" to tell adults you have to reschedule, and "easy" to tell your child that you can't make it to the presentation. We made the correct decision to reschedule the dinner. Teresa's boss was very supportive.

How many times do we take the easy route! We are faced with decisions like this all the time. We miss out on important events in our lives because small things get in our way. Sometimes those small things are really just minor obstacles that are inconvenient to move out of the way. I am so thankful that we had the proper perspective this morning.

So, today was a great day on all fronts. My weight dropped down a bit, and I didn't have any trouble keeping on target. I got to have a piece of Valentine's candy from yesterday.

But best of all, and most importantly, I was there when Ariane got third place for her science fair project.


1 comment:

james r t bossert said...

Nice! :) Congrats to Ariane! I've gotta know - which soap is best?